Monday, July 21, 2008

Childhood Memories (Poem)

Climbing a fence to meet a friend
A high five, a chat and a game on Nintendo
In the rain, in the mud, wrestling and falling
Hanging in a tree for hours, talking about things

I want to be older, and I want to do grown-up things
We ride bikes to the park, we swim without care
We march in the ditches, acting like ninjas
Running down the street, posing as comic heroes

I want to be older now, I want to smoke
Teased at school, posing a threat to me
Learning my arithmetic, grammar, and science
Tossing a red ball, four-square; I'm serving

Long lines in elementary, checking for lice
Jumping rope for saving cardiac victims
Singing in a play, running amuck
I want to be older, I want to drink

My first joint, my first peer pressure
My long hair, my black trench clothes
My rock music, my drugs, sex and rock and roll
Standing at the front door, my very first kiss

I want to be older now, and I want this to be over
Family separations, fighting, yelling
Moving form place to place, running away
Watching friends murdered, killed in accidents

I want to be older and I want to graduate
Finishing my year, I'm quiet, loathing
Too much to do, partying, drinking
I don't remember where I was last night

I want to be older now and I want this to be over
My first car, my first bill, debt accruing
Selling dope, making enemies, people hating me
Complications, where to live, worrying about life

I've graduated now, I've lost my friends
I'm on my own now and joined the service
Where do I go from here? What did I learn?
I'm not ready for this.

I want to be younger now and I want to start over.

No comments: